About the WH Marks Sattin Job Doctor

WH Marks Sattin is a specialist recruitment agency dealing with accountancy, finance, tax and consultancy professionals. This is our Job Doctor forum/blog.

Looking for a career change? Want some advice on which industries are good to get into at the moment?

Go on, ask our consultants some questions! If you want you can comment on our answers... We hope you find it useful!

To ask a question follow these steps:

1. Click "comments" on any of the previous posts (even if it isn't related to your question
2. Type in your question in the box
3. Select "anonymous" if you don't have your own account
4. Click "Publish your comment"

We will try to answer your question in 3 to 5 days.

http://www.whmarkssattin.com/

Looking for jobs in IT? Why not talk to our sister company Greythorn - specialist IT recruiter.




Thursday, 28 June 2007

Getting into financial services

Jan wrote:

Disguised as "ERP Systems Manager" I successfully performed MI Reporting and Analyst roles at an £200m/yr manufacturing company. I thoroughly enjoyed the tasks at hand, including inventory control, variance calculation and analysis. Whilst I am not a qualified accountant, I do hold other qualifications such as a QS/QA auditing diploma. Colleagues, clients and friends have often praised me for having a unique set of numerical, business and scientific skills, which they say, should be readily transferable to the financial / banking sector, with huge value-adding potential. What is the best approach to get in?

The Divisional Manager of financial services at Marks Sattin wrote:

Jan,

The skills you need to get into financial services are unlikely to be your accounting/numerical skills, but actually your systems skills. The internal complexity of financial services organisations' financial systems is unparalled and, because of strict regulation protecting clients, they have to be squeaky clean and perfectly controlled.


While accounting for income within financial services can be technically challenging and unique, the costs are not. They are pretty predictable and similar to any service organisation. The one thing manufacturing is famous for is strong cost control for production line costing - the activity based costing models that are used are very transferable as the complex process of for example, executing and settling a trade, has a production line feel to it.

I would therefore say that your best bet is to aim for cost focussed systems implementation roles. These will be far more prevalent on a contract basis, but may also be possible as a permanent role.

Best of luck with your search.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Reinsurance Technician with over 30 years experience. I have held positions ranging from Supervisor and Team Leader to Manager and Senior Technician all in a processing environment. I have internal audit and management information and gap analysis experience with advanced MS skills.
I am today 59 yrs of age and looking to break into a more admin functional type role utilising my numerical, analysis and MS skills. I am finding this an impossible task, what am I doing wrong.

accounts payable outsourcing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.